There has got to be better things to spend millions of taxpayers' money on.
ScoMo, current Prime Minister, and member for Cook, has announced a year of "celebrations" to mark James Cook's first voyage to Australia. It will cost us all $48.7 million.
As part of this, $6.7 million will be used to build a replica of The Endeavour to re-create Cook’s circumnavigation around Australia.
There are a few problems with this, apart from it being a gigantic waste of money.
- The PM is spending $48.7 million on the guy that declared this land was terra nullius ("nobody's land") while Indigenous people across Australia face ongoing violence, ongoing theft, and ongoing discrimination.
- Cook never sailed around what we now know as Australia. He only explored the east coast... So while the government won’t do anything to recognise our history and #changethedate, it will put $6.7 million towards rewriting history.
Don't you reckon there are so many better ways to spend this money?
- Complete the Treaty process.
- Create a compensation scheme for Victorian survivors of the Stolen Generation.
- Form a Truth, Justice and Reconciliation Commission to allow Aboriginal people to reveal the full truth about their history.
- Change the bloody date!
Sign now to tell Scott Morrison you want this money spent on actions that matter, actions that will bring our country together, rather than a $48.7 million vanity exercise.