All Victorians should have access to cheap, clean energy that doesn’t pollute our air or damage our climate.
But our energy market is dominated by a few big corporations, and they’re pushing up prices and holding back the transition to renewable energy.
These energy companies have been able to wield their influence on successive Labor and Liberal governments through political donations and sheer corporate power. And they make huge profits, while far too many Victorians struggle to pay their bills.
The Greens have a plan to transition Victoria to 100% renewable energy by 2030, and start to bring our energy system back into public hands, where it belongs.
We can create a system that is sustainable for generations to come and doesn’t contribute to climate change.
We can give Victorians peace of mind that they won’t have to worry about ever-increasing power bills.
The Greens plan for 100% Renewable Energy will:
- Double the Victorian Renewable Energy Target and build large-scale publicly-owned renewable energy, bringing energy back into your hands, where it belongs.
- Upgrade the Victorian energy transmission network, unlocking a wind and solar revolution across regional Victoria.
- Phase out all coal plants in Victoria by 2030, with a comprehensive plan to create new industries in the Latrobe Valley. Full details of our transition plan for the Latrobe Valley are provided here.
- Make the Latrobe Valley the battery test bed of the world by investing in $300 million in big batteries and pumped hydro energy storage so there is reliable energy for all Victorians, all year round.
- Read our detailed plan for 100% renewable energy here
Create a public energy retailer, Power Victoria
- Create a public energy retailer, Power Victoria, like we used to have before privatisation. It won’t need to make a profit and won’t spend millions on marketing, so it will save you hundreds of dollars a year through selling cheap power.
- Read our plan for Power Victoria here
Solar for Everyone, Solar for Schools, Solar for Public Housing
- Install solar panels and batteries in every Victorian public school.
- Reduce power bills for the Victorians who need it most by putting solar panels on 24,000 free-standing public housing homes.
- Support all households to be a part of the solar revolution by providing $1000 grants for renters and people living in apartments to buy solar panels in solar gardens on public buildings, like train stations.
Require landlords to upgrade their houses to meet minimum energy efficiency standards, with grants available to some landlords to help them meet the standards.
- Changing building regulations to require all new homes to have solar panels or solar hot water on on the roof.
- Read our Solar for Everyone plan here
- Read our details Solar for Schools plan here
- Read Solar for Public Housing plan here
Support a future Beyond Gas:
- Declare a permanent ban on all offshore and onshore gas exploration in Victoria
- Oppose the monster gas ship in Westernport Bay
- Support Victorians to phase out gas in their homes through an education campaign and $1000 grants to replace old, expensive gas heaters with efficient solar heat pumps
- Mandate non-gas heating in building regulations for all new builds
- Identify planning reform to stop new gas pipelines to new towns/suburbs
- Identify options for industry transition beyond gas, including use of biogas.
- Read more detail on our Beyond Gas plan here