We have a plan to protect Victoria’s spectacular natural environment and our native and endangered animals.
Victoria’s natural environment is under constant pressure from unchecked development and other threats. The Greens will protect nature with dedicated funding for habitat, native species and with strengthened environmental laws.
Our plan will:
Introduce new nature laws
- Introduce a new Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act, which means the Minister or Department has to step in and act if an endangered species is threatened by a development or other process.
- Introduce laws to ensure the Sustainability Fund is actually spent on the environment - not just kept aside to prop up the Government’s Budget.
- Develop strong regulations to give Victoria’s Environment Protection Agency the power to protect our environment from corporate pollution.
- Reform the environmental assessment process in Victoria, to build in greater community consultation and genuinely independent environmental assessments.
- End cruel duck hunting in Victoria.
- Fund vital wildlife rescue services and emergency wildlife hotlines in Victoria.
- Create a roundtable to bring Traditional Owners, scientists and conservationists to the table to discuss the benefits of re-wilding parts of the state including introducing native apex predators, such as the dingo, in areas where it might be appropriate for the environment.
The Greens have a detailed set of policies to safeguard nature: