Greens candidate for Mullum Mullum ward (Manningham City Council) Tomas Lightbody
Come along and enjoy a relaxed afternoon in a riverside setting and enjoy a short nature walk, followed by a delicious afternoon tea of damper, champagne and other goodies. Informative commentary about the unique local environment will be provided during the walk. This event is suitable for the whole family.
This event will launch the campaign for the Greens Candidate for Mullum Mullum Ward, Tomas Lightbody (see further info here.) Mullum Mullum ward is one of three wards part of Manningham City Council. Tom will share his positive vision for Manningham which includes protecting our amazing green wedge area and sustainable development and design.
We'll meet at the picnic area in the Jumping Creek Reserve, accessed off Jumping Creek Rd in Wonga Park at 2:00 pm. From there, the plan is to do a short hike at a moderate pace for approx 1 hour. We will follow the Jumping Creek Nature Walk circuit that traverses surrounding bushland, before hiking back to the picnic area along the Yarra River. All up, this walk is approx 2km long and will take approximately 1 hour at a moderate pace. It is suitable for beginners. Along the way, there'll be extensive wildlife viewing opportunities and spectacular views of the Yarra River.
Once you finish the walk, there'll be a delicious and extensive afternoon tea including damper, champagne, non-alcoholic drinks, freshly-baked cakes among other goodies. Feel free to BYO your own food, however there'll be plenty there anyway. There are wood BBQ facilities at the picnic area.
BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT
- Catch the route 906 SmartBus departing Lonsdale St in the Melbourne CBD at 12.47pm. Get off at the last stop (Warrandyte Bridge.) The bus arrives at 1.37pm. Details are here.
- We can pick-up passengers arriving by bus. Just let us know beforehand.
- We'll be meeting at the picnic area at the Jumping Creek Reserve. The Reserve is part of the Warrandyte State Park and is accessible from Jumping Creek Rd, between Warrandyte and Wonga Park.
- Coming from Warrandyte, follow Jumping Creek Rd across Jumping Creek, until a sign with 'Jumping Creek Reserve' is reached. Turn LEFT into this sealed access road and follow it until its end, where the picnic area is located.
Walk Grade: Easy - Australian Walking Track Class 3 - Some rough sections on a well-defined and well-marked track.
Walk Distance: 2km return (approx)
Fees: This is a free event!!
Any donations made will go towards the local Greens campaign in Mullum Mullum ward, which includes the suburbs such as Warrandyte, Wonga Park, Donvale, Park Orchards and Doncaster East.
What's special: Delicious afternoon tea in a beautiful riverside setting, beautiful gorge scenery close to Melbourne, pristine natural bushland, spectacular views of the Yarra River, good wildlife-viewing opportunities.
What to bring
- Warm jacket
- Waterproof jacket (if rain is predicted)
- A water bottle for yourself.
- Comfortable footwear and clothes.
Please note - NO DOGS are allowed at this venue, as per Parks Victoria regulations.
Everything else will be provided!!!
We look forward to seeing you there :-)