Victorians are losing more on the pokies than ever before.
The Government’s addiction to gambling revenue has allowed the industry to continue to exploit and harm our communities. Enough is enough. The Greens will put our community before gambling profits, and commit to phasing out pokies in Victoria by 2028.
Current Victorian pokies licences expire in 2022, after which they can be renewed for another 20-year period. This outrageous extension is thanks to legislation introduced by Labor and supported by the Opposition. The Greens opposed it at the time and will move to replace it with legislation to:
- Repeal the 20-year licence extension;
- Create one new 6-year licence – 2022-2028 – with no new licences after 2028;
- Give Councils veto power over whether to grant a new licence to pokies operators in their community or remove pokies from 2022 altogether.
We will also provide a $200m fund to assist clubs to move away from harmful pokies and ensure their survival as important community centres.
Furthermore, the Greens will immediately introduce harm reduction measures which will apply to poker machines during the phase out:
- Maximum bet limit of $1 per spin. A $1 limit will reduce the amount an adult could lose on the pokies from an average of $840 per hour to about $120 an hour.
- A load up limit of $20. Jackpots of no more than $500. Limiting jackpots reduces the volatility of the machines and therefore their addictiveness
- EFTPOS cashout limits of $200.
- Enforceable limits on amounts that can be lost.